Thursday, September 18, 2008

attitude

Lately, I've been thinking about attitude and how it's roots are inward, while it's fruits are outward. So what better than just to paraphrase some interesting thoughts around what I've been reading.

John Maxwell said it was the Librarian of our past, the speaker of our present and prophet of our future. Your attitude dictates who you are - what you do and how you do it.

So the longer you live, the more you realise the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way (see below). We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.
  - charles swindoll

So with that in mind, isn't it interesting how we sometimes always have "bad days"? What I've been finding is that a reason for my bad day could be based around my attitude towards certain things and situations. Do I create a bad day for myself, based on how I react to something? I guess the reality check is to see - if my attitude were different, would I suffer as much?

No comments: